Menu

Basque Country

 

Art & Culture

Cultural Heritage

Parish Church of Santa María la Real (Zarautz)

  • Parish Church of Santa María la Real

Parish Church of Santa María la Real (Zarautz)

The parish church of Santa Maria was built in Gothic style at the end of the 15th century. However, it has been restored afterwards on many occasions. In fact, the side chapels were added in the 16th century. It should be mentioned that the sanctuary accommodates the magnificent Baroque altarpiece built by Andres and Juan de Araoz in 1560. The altarpiece begins in a stone pedestal and comprises a wide bench, four sections and five streets. The Gothic image of Nuestra Señora de la Real prevails on the altarpiece, which depicts several scenes of the Passion of Christ. We should also mention two little altarpieces dating back to the 17th century, one dedicated to the Virgen del Rosario and the other to San Exuperio. The parish church belongs to the Archaeological Complex of Monuments of Santa Maria la Real, as well as the Zarautz Tower, which is the oldest building in the village (15th century) and houses the Art and History Museum. Remains of Zarautz's first necropolis (10-15th century) were found underneath its walls.


Services: Park / Guided visit

Special offers

Accessibility
Special offers
Return
Where?

Information of interest

Type of resources:

Religious buildings

Monument type:

Paris church

Address:

Elizaurre, 1  - 20800  Zarautz

Phone:   +34 943 835 281 (Consulter le site Menosca)Phone:  

+34 943 835 281 (Consulter le site Menosca)

Artistic style:

Gothic

Period :

15th and 16th centuries