The church of San Salvador

The parish church of San Salvador

Art & Culture

Cultural Heritage

San Salvador Church is a jewel of Gothic art and, although the current building dates back to the 15th century, there is evidence that there was a church located here as far back as the high medieval period. Its silhouette stands out the medieval part of Getaria.

 

The church has classical orientation, is formed by presbytery and a section divided into three naves over a trapezoidal plan and almost symmetric. In 1397, on this very site, in the church which preceded the current building, a Junta General (General Assembly) was held; this Assembly founded the Hermandad de Gipuzkoa (Gipuzkoa Brotherhood), which in turn laid down the foundation for the historical territory as we know it today.

 

In addition, the illustrious navigator Juan Sebastián Elcano was baptised in this church, which houses a gravestone in his memory. Another curiosity is that under the parish church there is a passage known as Katrapona that leads to the harbour. Inside, a crypt shelters La Piedad chapel.

Information of interest

Type of resources
Religious buildings
Monument type

Church

Address
Kale Nagusia, 39 - 20808 Getaria
Phone
Artistic style
Gothic
Period
15th century
Activities

Apart from mass services, the church of San Salvador plays host to music concerts sporadically.