Nuestra Señora de la Asunción

The Parish Church of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción

Art & Culture

Cultural Heritage

The parish church of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción -also known as Santa María de Murguía- is located on a hill that is nowadays known as Markesmendi. Since time immemorial it has been linked to the patronage of the Murgia family, whose lordly house is just below the temple. 

It is thought that the building dates back to the 12th Century but afterwards it underwent several reforms. The temple's plan is Latin cross shaped and ribbed vaults form the ceiling. The choir is placed over a big arch. Finally, its tower, 25 metres high, hosts the bells and a clock brought from Bordeaux in 1840. 

The small church was constructed in ashlar masonry, a Latin cross plan with two naves of two rectangular sections covered by groin vaults supported by pilasters and a crossing with octagonal apse. The sacristy, the baptistery and a large wooden portico are attached to the building. Murgia lineage has a coat of arms carved on the wall over the access. The retable was built during the last Carlist War being replaced by another one in 1888 from the church of San Vicente in Donostia / San Sebastián. 

Some images of the previous altarpiece have been kept. The Sagardoaren Lurraldea association organises guided tours in Astigarraga throughout the year, which also includes this monument.

 

Information of interest

Type of resources
Religious buildings
Monument type

Parish church

Address
Plaza de los Fueros, 7 - 20115 Astigarraga
Phone
E-mail
Artistic style
Gothic
Period
14th century
Opening hours

Every day:

  • at 7:00 pm in the Kaperan 

Saturday:

  • 7:00 pm in the Chapel 

Sunday:

  • At 08:30 hours at the Chapel 
  • 10:30 at the church 
  • At 12:00 in the Church 
     

Services

  • Children facilities
  • Park
  • Guided visit