Menu

Basque Country

 

Art & Culture

Cultural Heritage

Church of Santa María (Salvatierra/Agurain)

  • Santa María Church

Church of Santa María (Salvatierra/Agurain)

Located to the north of the town, near the north entrance to Salvatierra, the church of Santa María is a temple-fortress that once formed part of the wall. It was built between the late 15th and early 16th century on top of an earlier church, and has excellent stalls. It belongs to the late Gothic. The core is rectangular, with three naves. The central nave stands out, wider and taller than the rest. The sacristy is from the late 17th century, spacious, simple and with a beautiful balcony. The main entrance is Gothic, from the early 16th century, and is topped by a 17th century steeple. Inside, the front of the wonderful, richly decorated Plateresque choir is dominated by a large crest of Emperor Charles V. The main altarpiece is a masterpiece by Renaissance artist Lope de Larrea. The church of Santa María also has outstanding images such as the Virgin of the Rosary, Mary Magdalene and Andra Mari de Sailurtegi. The organ is an outstanding piece from 1806, by Manuel Antonio de Carvajal.


Services: Park

Special offers

Accessibility
Special offers
Return
Where?

Information of interest

Type of resources:

Religious buildings

Monument type:

Church-fortress

Address:

Calle Mayor, 80  - 01200  Agurain/Salvatierra

Phone:   +34 945 301 200 (Salvatierra/Agurain Tourist Office)Phone:  

+34 945 301 200 (Salvatierra/Agurain Tourist Office)

Artistic style:

Gothic

Period :

15th and 16th centuries