Art & Culture

Cultural Heritage

Church of Santa María (Bermeo)

The church of Santa María is one of the most significant buildings in Bizkaia's Neo-classical architecture. Judge Colón de Larreategi ordered its construction in 1783 but works did not began till 1823. Architect Silvestre Pérez designed it and it was inaugurated in 1858. The church has Latin cross shape, with a semi-circular apse and two towers attached to the main façade. A peculiar vault covers the central part and the rest is crowned with barrel vaults, except the apse, which was covered by a cul-de-four, and the lateral chapels, crowned with groin vaults. The Neo-classical portico is worth mentioning too, because it has a triangular pediment supported by a series of Dorian columns. Inside, the high altarpiece and those in the angles are quite remarkable. The carving of the Asunción de Nuestra Señora is from Roman Times and it was taken, probably, from the old church located in that place.

Information of interest

Type of resources
Religious buildings
Monument type

Church

Address
Plaza Sabino Arana - 48370 Bermeo
Phone
E-mail
Artistic style
Neo-classical
Period
19th century
Activities

The Music Week in august