Art & Culture

Cultural Heritage

Basilica of the Purísima Concepción

  • Basilica of the Purísima Concepción
  • Basilica of the Purísima Concepción

Basilica of the Purísima Concepción

The construction of the basilica of la Purísima Concepción began in 1459, in Gothic style, but the works delayed for so long that it evolved into Renaissance style, being finished in 1506.

 

The access doors, rose windows and some columns supporting the portico are samples of Gothic style, and we can appreciate its Renaissance elements in the upper part of the church, in its windows and magnificent bellfry. The church's plant comprises three naves, a very wide central one and notably narrower aisles.

 

Four large columns with Corinthian capitals hold the Gothic cross ribbed vault, and their peculiarity is that vegetal motifs have been replaced by figures representing heads, which are almost grotesque.

 

The choir occupies the width of the three naves. Inside the church, we can also appreciate highly valuable altarpieces, specially the main one and the two on its sides, magnificent examples of Barroque art in the Rococo phase.

 

In the centre of the altar, in a silver shrine, rest the remains of Saint Valentin de Berrio-Otxoa.


Services: Park / Guided visit

Special offers

Accessibility
Special offers
Return
Where?

Information of interest

Type of resources:

Religious buildings

Monument type:

Basilica.

Address:

Plaza de Gernikako Arbola  - 48230  Elorrio

Phone:   +34 946 820 228 (Basilica) / +34 946 820 164 (Tourist Office)Phone:  

+34 946 820 228 (Basilica) / +34 946 820 164 (Tourist Office)

Artistic style:

Gothic and Renaissance.

Period :

15th century.