Basilica of Santa María (Portugalete)

Basilica of Santa María (Portugalete)

Art & Culture

Cultural Heritage

A mixture of Gothic and Renaissance styles and dating from the end of the 15th century, it is listed as a national monument.

Building of the tower began in 1691. It had to be rebuilt after being destroyed in the last Carlist war (1874). 

It is a mixture of Gothic and Renaissance styles, with a basilica floor plan with 3 naves and an octagonal apse. On the outside two mediaeval gargoyles portraying fantastic beasts can be seen over the buttresses. The main doorway is beneath an arch in the bell tower. 

Inside the ribbed vaulting rests on fasciculated pillars. The high altarpiece is an outstanding example of Basque Renaissance work. It was created in the 16th century by the brothers Beaugrant and Juan de Ayala

Information of interest

Type of resources
Religious buildings
Address
Santa María Kalea - 48920 Portugalete
Phone
E-mail

Services

  • Park