Menu

Basque Country

 

Art & Culture

Cultural Heritage

Chapel of San Telmo

  • Chapel of San Telmo

Chapel of San Telmo

The small chapel of San Telmo in Zumaia, dedicated to the patron saint of sailors, stands by Itzurun beach over the cliff made of flysch rock. The first mentions of the chapel date from 1540, though it was later altered by the San Telmo seafarers' guild, which was based there from the 17th century onwards.

 

Inside, alongside the images of Santiago and Santa Clara, a highlight is the 18th-century rococo altar screen made from unpainted, ungilded wood.

 

Eight days after Easter Sunday, on St. Telmo's day the people of Zumaia set out in a procession to the chapel dressed in navy blue, playing the San Telmo march all around this seaside locality.


Accessibility
Special offers
Return to general data
Where?

Information of interest

Type of resources: Religious buildings
Address:   -   Zumaia